There are some foods you should not eat when you’re pregnant because they might make you ill or harm your baby. Make sure you know the important facts about which foods you should avoid or take extra care with when you’re pregnant. The best foods to eat are freshly cooked or freshly prepared food.
Raw food, unprocessed food
Raw foods contain lots of bacteria, helminths, parasites and molds. These pathogens not only harm the mother's body but also threaten the health of the fetus. Severe infections can lead to intellectual disabilities, epilepsy, blindness, and even stillbirth. Therefore, pregnant women should abstain from food that has not been processed yet alive.
Pregnant women should abstain from raw foods.
- Uncooked meat contains bacteria such as E. coli, Salmonella, Toxoplasma and Listeria, ... causing the mother to have diarrhea, or digestive disorders. They also contain lots of helminths, which can spread to humans.
- Live seafood contains viruses, bacteria or parasites such as norovirus, Vibrio, Salmonella and Listeria. Pregnant women infected with these bacteria will lose water, their body will be weak.
- Raw eggs often contain Salmonella causing mothers to have fever, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps. Not only stay away from blanched eggs, pregnant women should abstain from what is likely to contain raw eggs. For example, chicken egg sauce, cake, salad, ...
- Pasteurized milk may contain a range of harmful bacteria, including Listeria, Salmonella, E. coli and Campylobacter.
Pregnant women need to add more nutrients, but not need to increase too many calories. Meanwhile, processed foods are often low in nutrition and high in calories. This is because it is often high in sugar and bad fats. Pregnant women should abstain from processed foods to avoid gestational diabetes and the risk of difficulty giving birth due to overweight babies.
On the other hand, processed foods often also contain lots of salt, spices and preservatives. These are substances that are not good for the health of pregnant women and their unborn babies.
Fish is high in mercury
Although fish is a good food for pregnant women, pregnant women should stay away from fish high in mercury. Because mercury is extremely toxic. It can destroy the pregnant nervous system, immune system and kidneys. At the same time cause deformities and many serious problems in the fetus.
To choose fish in particular and seafood in general, pregnant women should abstain from originating from polluted waters. Especially large fish often accumulate high levels of mercury. Some types of pregnant fish to avoid are: mackerel, tuna, swordfish, shark, ...
Animal organs are an excellent source of vitamin A. They also contain iron and vitamin B12, which is great for pregnancy health.
However, according to scientists, pregnant women should abstain from food containing too much vitamin A derived from animals. High concentrations can cause liver toxicity and birth defects. Pregnant women should only eat organs up to 1 time a week to ensure the health of mother and baby.
Pregnant women should refrain from eating animal organs.
Pregnant women should abstain from what contains caffeine
Not only tea and coffee, pregnant women should abstain from caffeine, such as soft drinks, cocoa, chocolate, coffee cakes, etc. The reason is that caffeine is absorbed very quickly and easily. into the placenta. The fetus doesn't have enough enzymes to metabolize caffeine. Therefore, caffeine will accumulate, acting on the nervous system, limiting fetal development, increasing the risk of low birth weight.
Pregnant women should abstain from alcohol completely. By drinking only a small amount will also negatively affect the baby's nervous system. Alcohol is also an increased risk of miscarriage and stillbirth. Pregnant women often drink alcohol also causes fetal alcohol syndrome. This is a syndrome related to mental retardation, heart defects and facial defects. Because no alcohol level has been shown to be safe during pregnancy, pregnant women should abstain from anything that contains alcohol thoroughly.
PRENATAL ONLINE PROGRAM "A HAPPY PREGNANCY"
To help young couples get more useful information about pregnancy, City International Hospital will hold a live prenatal program with the topic: Happy Pregnancy at 11:00 on 21. May 5, 2020 at the hospital fanpage.
Special Deals: BOOK NOW DELIVERY LATER
Join us on "A Happy pregnancy" livestream and receive special offers.
To sign up, please contact:
- Register online at: http://bit.ly/lop-hoc-tien-san
- Thu Thuy at: 0909 802 936
For appointment or more information& the services provided by OB/GYN Department, please contact:
- Ms. Võ Thị Mỹ Liên: (8428) 6280 3333, ext. 8424
- Ms. Nguyễn Thị Lệ: (8428) 6280 3333, ext. 8402
Or call City International Hospital
- Address: No. 3, 17A Street, Binh Tri Dong B Ward, Binh Tan Dist. (Next to AEON Mall Binh Tan), Ho Chi Minh City.
- Website: https://cih.com.vn/en/
- FB page: https://www.facebook.com/BenhVienQuocTeCity/